- Published Date : March 1, 2021
Nepal Forum of Environmental Journalists (NEFEJ) and Nepal Science Foundation Trust (NSFT) under the Skill Knowledge and Technology Transfer Department (SK&TT) of Non-Resident Nepali Association International Coordination Council (NRNA ICC) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to collaborate on promoting science-based reporting and knowledge of science.
The two organizations have decided to collaborate as they recognize the value of co-operation in the area of science communication and reporting in pertinent issues of national importance in the following ways – i) Foster science-based knowledge for addressing environmental and climate change issues and sustainable development through joint engagements, ii) Work together to develop field visit activities based on scientific evidence, iii) Work together to conduct investigative study program, iv) Work together share and exchange scholars and publish articles and research papers jointly, v) Develop joint research projects and programs, and vi) Collaborate in facing the unprecedented changes brought by Covid-19 pandemic.
Mana KC, Head of the SK&TT and Vice President of the NRNA and Dr. Raju Adhikari, Chair of the NSFT and Member Secretary of the SK&TT signed the agreement on behalf of the NSFT/SK&TT, NRNA ICC while President of NEFEJ Kosmos Biswokarma signed on behalf of NEFEJ. Member of the NSFT, NRNA ICC Dr. Drona Rasali has signed as a witness to the MoU.
It can be recalled that the SK&TT is committed to streamlining science and technology activities for the overall development of Nepal through deployment of their professional experience, skills and resource through exchange and collaboration in science and technology sector. It also aims to promote knowledge of science as powerful instrument of social change through awakening people about various attributes of science towards improvement of quality of living and to promote partnership with national stakeholders on a sustained basis.
The NSFT as a division of SK&TT seeks to achieve the following objectives:
• Play as a catalyst in science awakening among the masses as an important instrument of change through dispelling the grip of superstitions, bigotry and unfounded beliefs that are contrary to societal peace, harmony and progress,
• Forge creative partnership with S&T institutions and professional societies in science popularization and research promotion and collaboration,
• Promote exchange of Diaspora science professionals and scholars for sharing expertise and experiences,
• Undertake initiatives in facilitating science policy development frameworks by pooling global expertise as far as feasible.